Considered by many to be the finest boarding facility in the Tampa Bay area, Oakhurst Kennels is a member of the American Boarding Kennel Association. Our kennels are completely indoors and climate controlled with separate areas for dogs, cats and birds. There are spacious, fenced outside exercise areas for one on one playtime with a kennel staff member. The kennel’s association with Oakhurst Veterinary Hospital assures prompt, complete medical care for your boarding pet.
Doggie Daycare (offered Monday through Saturday) is an alternative to leaving your pet at home. Bring him or her to Daycare for a supervised fun-filled day romping with other dogs indoors and out.
Full-service grooming is available and conveniently located inside Oakhurst Kennels.
Puppy, basic and advanced obedience classes are being offered weekly. For more information contact Betty at (727) 595-4038.
Requirements for boarding:
- Canine: Rabies vaccination Feline: Rabies vaccination
- Distemper/Parvo vaccination Distemper vaccination
- Bordetella Vaccination Intestional Parasite Exam
- Heartworm Test
- Intestinal Parasite Examination
Studies have shown that it can take up to fourteen days for a vaccination to be effective. it is for this reason that the doctors of Oakhurst Veterinary Hospital recommend that all pets be vaccinated at least fourteen days prior to boarding, daycare or grooming.
We can call your current veterinarian to verify that your pet is current on the above requirements or you may bring in a receipt showing that these procedures have been done. We prefer to verify these requirements in advance so that any procedures that are due can be discussed ahead of time.
PLAY SESSIONS: Sign your pet up for "Playtime" while boarding with us. These extra TLC sessions are 15 minutes long and allow us to spend quality one-on-one time with your pet. "Playtime" also gives your pet extra time outside during the day. The cost for this service is $4.00 per session. Additional family pets are an additional $1.00 per session.
DAYCARE: Daycare is also available for your pet during boarding. Please ask for details.
MEDICATION CHARGES: There will be a $2.00 fee each time your pet needs to have medication administered. Medication will not be administered more than three times daily. Diabetic boarders will be charged an additional $24.75 per day for the administration of insulin, feeding and monitoring by our veterinary staff. Owners must bring in their pet's own supplies (insulin, syringes, food). Reservations and drop-offs for diabetic boarders are to be made at the kennel. Feeding/special care instructions are to be given to a member of our veterinary staff at Oakhurst Veterinary Hospital on the day of the drop-off.
SPECIAL DIET ADMINISTRATION: All boarders will be fed dry or canned Science Diet Maintenance or Eukaba Light/Maintenance unless we are otherwise instructed. If you would like your pet to be fed a different diet you are required to bring it in with you at the time of boarding. Feeding instructions will be written and all food items must be clearly labeled. Because boarding pets do not get as much exercise as they would if they were at home, feeding them twice daily is not always necessary or recommended. Additionally, some pets just don't eat as much while boarding due to the stress of a different environment. On request, for specific nutritional conditions (growing puppies, stomach or digestive disorders), we will feed your pet breakfast and lunch. Dinner will not be served as we are unable to let our boarders outside to eliminate past closing time.
BATHING REQUIREMENTS: Any dog or cat coming into the kennel with fleas or ticks will be bathed and given a Capstar tablet. You will be charged for the bathing of your pet and the Capstar tablet. All dogs boarding for two nights or longer will be bathed before going home. The bath will be charged at our regular bathing rate. All kennel baths include Natural Animal Shampoo or Hylyt Shampoo if your pet has sensitive skin. We also apply a conditioner, Showsheen coat polish and dirt repellant. We clean all ears with Vet Solutions Ear Cleaner and we will also trim your pet's nails. After your pet has been dried and brushed we apply Fresh and Clean Cologne. Pets that were bathed upon arrival to our kennel will also be bathed, but charged 1/2 price for the go home bath. Cats will not be bathed unless it has been requested to do so by the owner or they have become soiled during their stay. The charge for cat baths will also be the regular bathing rate. Grooming and de-matting are additional services that can be scheduled through our Oakhurst Grooming Salon at 399-1456.
TICKS: Ticks are becoming more of a problem every year. Pets that need to be deticked will be charged a full price bath on entry and a full price bath on go home. In addition, a fee of $5.00 will be charged for every 15 minutes it takes to detick.
BOARDING RATES: Boarding rates are charged on a daily basis which begins on the day your pet is admitted to the kennel. Check-out time is 12:00 p.m. There is no charge for the day of pick-up if your pet is picked up before 12:00 p.m. After 12:00 p.m. you will be charged for an additional day of boarding. Sunday pick-ups: Sunday is a flat rate day. All pets are charged for Sunday whether they go home or spend the night.
DISCOUNTS: We offer a family discount for persons boarding more than one pet at a time. The regular boarding rate is reduced by $.50 per day. This does not apply to birds, rabbits, ferrets, hamsters or similar pets. A monthly discount is offered at 15% off the boarding rate. Two months receive 20% discount and three months or longer receive a 25% discount.
- ILLNES DURING BOARDING: Occasionally a pet may become ill during his/her stay at our kennel. It is imperative that you provide us with an emergency phone number where you can be reached every day during your pets stay with us. In the event your pet becomes ill, you will be contacted and kept up to date on the condition. The most common sickness we see is diarrhea. If this occurs, we will check a stool specimen to determin if the diarrhea is being caused by an intestinal parasite. If parasites are not the cause of the diarrhea it could be a matter of stress due to a change in the environment, a switch of your pet's normal diet, or just the sights, smells and sounds of the kennel. In either case your pet may be given medication or a prescription diet to correct the problem. There will be a charge for the intestinal parasite examination and any medication prescribed for the treatment of your pet's diarrhea.
- HOLIDAY BOARDING: During holidays our kennel fills up very quickly. Please call at least one month in advance to make reservations if your pet needs to stay with us during the holidays. If you need to cancel your reservation, please do so as soon as possible so that we can avoid a waiting list. On Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas we are closed and will not accept any pets for drop-off or pick-up.
- PLEASE NOTE: We supply everything that your pet will need during his/her stay with us at Oakhurst Kennels. This includes soft blankets and comforters to lay on. Please do not bring in bowls or bedding. Any items that are brought in for your pet need to be clearly labeled. We are not responsible for items that get lost or misplaced. We feed in the morning only to make boarding easier on your pet. Pets are taken outside first thing in the morning, before feeding and two more times during the day.
OAKHURST KENNELS IS PROUD TO BE ACCREDITED BY THE AMERICAN BOARDING KENNEL ASSOCIATION
BOARDING RATES PER DAY:
CATS $17.00 CAT CONDO $30.00
DOGS 1-20 POUNDS $18.00
21-40 POUNDS $19.00
41-60 POUNDS $20.00
61-80 POUNDS $21.00
81-100 POUNDS $24,00
OVER 100 POUNDS $25.00
BIRDS- ALL SIZES $17.00
OTHER PETS: RABBITS, FERRETS AND GUINEA PIGS $17.00 PER DAY. YOU MUST PROVIDE YOUR OWN CAGE, BEDDING AND FOOD.
Call (727) 397-8844 to book your pet's stay with our kennel today.